'Xhuwaji' Haida Grizzly Bear: 1 oz. Pure Silver Coloured CoinBill Reid Gallery
Iljuwas (Bill Reid) brought Haida art and culture to a global audience. His extraordinary body of work includes 1,500 pieces ranging from jewellery art to monumental carvings. His artwork has appeared on Canadian coins, including this 1 oz. pure silver tribute to the artist on the 100th anniversary of his birth. We've combined engraving and colour technology in this silver version of Bill Reid's Xhuwaji, Haida Grizzly Bear, featured on the special edition 2020 $2 circulation coin.
Buy this pure silver version of our 2020 tribute to Haida artist Bill Reid.
- 2020 TRIBUTE TO HAIDA ARTIST BILL REID: A 1 oz. pure silver version of the 2020 $2 commemorative circulation coin that features the iconic art of Bill Reid (1920-1998).
- FULL COLOUR: The engraved design is enhanced with beautiful and bold red, white, and black colours to match the original artwork.
- IT'S ALL ABOUT THE ART: A text-free reverse honours Bill Reid's ceremonial drum design and keeps the focus solely on the art.
- A PROUD CELEBRATION OF CULTURE that also honours the artist on the 100th anniversary of his birth.
- INCLUDES SERIALIZED CERTIFICATE: The Royal Canadian Mint certifies all of its collector coins.
- LIMITED WORLDWIDE MINTAGE: Your coin has a limited worldwide mintage of 7,500.
- 1 OZ. PURE SILVER: Your coin is crafted from one ounce of 99.99% pure silver.
- NO GST/HST
- Bill Reid's Xhuwaji, Haida Grizzly Bear first appeared on a ceremonial drum crafted by the Sam family of Ahousaht, B.C. Two years later, Reid adapted the design for reproduction as silkscreen prints, with proceeds benefitting the Artists for Kids Trust.
- Xuu.ajii (Grizzly Bear) was a favourite character of Bill Reid's and he often used it in his jewelry designs and sculpture. Xuu.ajii is an important crest among the Haida Nation and plays a significant role in ancient Haida narratives.
- The Skidegate Haida spelling for Grizzly Bear has evolved since Reid created Xhuwaji, Haida Grizzly Bear. Today, the word for Grizzly Bear is spelled xuu.ajii. This is because in recent decades, the spelling and phonetic structure of the Haida language have been refined through the efforts to revitalise the language by community members, particularly Elders, via the Skidegate Haida Immersion Program (SHIP).