The Bill Reid Gallery places the highest priority on the safety and the well-being of visitors, volunteers, and staff. In light of the current health concerns caused by the coronavirus (COVID-19), we wanted to let you know of the precautionary measures we are taking in order to keep everyone as safe as possible.
The Gallery will be closed until further notice. Hands-on educational activities and March workshops are canceled. Gallery leadership is evaluating our events on a case-by-case basis—changes and updates will be posted on billreidgallery.ca and social channels.
We have canceled the following events for the month of March:
Performance Workshop with Cheyenne Rain LeGrande, Saturday, March 14. All pre-paid registrants for this workshop will be refunded. This workshop will be rescheduled at a later date.
What you can do...
Although we would love to see you at the Gallery, if you are sick or feeling unwell, we urge you to stay home and avoid close contact with others.
People at higher risk of severe illness should stay home and away from large groups of people as much as possible, including public places with lots of people and large gatherings where there will be close contact with others. People at higher risk include:
- People 60 and older.
- People with underlying health conditions including heart disease, lung disease, or diabetes.
- People who have weakened immune systems.
- People who are pregnant.
We encourage you to stay informed and to follow the guidance provided by public health officials.
Practices we are implementing immediately:
- Hygiene and prevention:
o Wash your hands with water and soap for 20 sec, or rub your hands using a hand sanitizers
o Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue if you cough or sneeze
o It is perfectly acceptable to avoid handshakes
o Anyone who is feeling unwell should stay home.
- Daily disinfectant cleaning: the Bill Reid Gallery staff is also implementing daily disinfectant cleaning of all facility touchpoints (i.e. elevator screens/buttons, entryways, handrails, etc.) with disinfectant wipes;
- Washroom Byoplanet Cleaning: the building manager will be carrying out a disinfectant cleaning of our washrooms this Sunday, March 15. This system will kill any virus/germs in the washrooms on all surfaces. Future treatments of washrooms and other building areas may also be scheduled if required;
- Changes to night cleaning duties: our night crews have been instructed to focus more on touchpoint and surface cleaning/disinfecting, and to follow the cleaning task schedules thoroughly;
- Hand Sanitizing Stations: Extra hand sanitizing stations for the building entrances/lobbies have been ordered but there is an extreme backlog of orders and we do not have a definitive timeline on when these will arrive.
We are continually monitoring the health advisory reports from the WHO, CDC, and provincial/federal health ministries and will implement any further recommendations that would apply at a building level.
As we observe the evolving situation closely, we will announce any further program or operational changes through our regular channels, website, and social media. Thank you for your patience, understanding, and support. Take care and stay healthy.
Please stay informed. Here are links to resources that can provide more details and additional updates: